The Brooklyn Peace Center building, located at 23 Marcus Garvey Blvd. (formerly 23 Sumner Ave.) was one of the oldest orthodox Jewish synagogues in Brooklyn. The building was erected in 1891 by the First Austro-Hungarian Beth Shalom.
In the late 19th and early 20th centuries, many congregations’ names were identified first by the immigrant group’s country of origin. Thus, the congregation primarily originated from the Austro-Hungarian Empire.
The actual name of the worshiping community followed.
Beth Shalom. House of Peace.
From its inception, across changing social-cultural and religious dynamics, this building has been dedicated to peace.